Friday, May 16, 2008

First Time Buyer

The last few weeks I had been seriously playing with the idea of buying a new car, working with my budget thinking of sacrifices I could make and the like. Also looking into the trade in value of my current car, which was a 1999 Acura Integra LS. Considering the trade in value verses the value of selling it privately, but being a bit too eager to get into a new car I ended up going with the dealer which was the fastest. My previous car was in great condition I even washed it and changed the oil before I went to the dealer (it was over due anyway).

I had my heart set on a new Honda Fit Sport, which were and are still are hard to come by at any dealership due to their economic value in respect to their great gas mileage bing a micro compact. I did however go through the manufacturers website to request a quote from my local deal so that it would make sure that the dealer would have no chance to add any markup locking in the suggested MSRP of about $15,219.00 that price reflecting the Fit Sport with a manual transmission. I also got my credit pre-approved through Honda so there would be no disappointment/embarrassment of not having the financial means to qualify to buy the car in the first place.

I decided to head over to Metro Honda in Montclair around 4pm Friday. Once I parked at in front of the dealer the salesmen had spotted me like hungry animals and where watching my every movement as I got closer to the main doors. Needless to say I didn't make it inside before I was stopped by one of the many sales men posted like guards around the dealer. I half expected him to ask me for ID before he extended his hand and asked, "Do you need any help today." With out missing a beat I told him I wanted to see about getting a new car and told him which one. He then proceeded to walk me to the unpaved storage lot where he showed me the 2 Fit Sport Models they had in stalk which consisted of 2 Vivid Blue Pearl Automatics. I had originally had my heart set on Nighthawk Black Pearl with a manual transmission, so that plan went to hell almost immediately.


To cut through most of the red tape I filled out a but load of paperwork and got down to business with the trade in and price negotiation. The used car sales manager took my car for a spin around the block and came back with an offer of $2,700 (kbb at the time being 3,400) I refused immediately and responded with a 3k counter offer, which they accepted. They then brought the price of the car and the projected payments. 16,700 for the car which was right on target for an auto sport. I noticed a few other fees consisting of solar guard for $595.00 and a Custom Armrest for $395.00. The solar guard was reffering to the tinted windows which where factory installed, I got the dealer to drop the charge. I also refused the custom armrest which consisted of a 3rd party after market part that retailed for $99.99. At that time my projected payments where $380.00. Now here is where they get you, the extended warranty which runs for like 3k which bumped my payments up to $495.00 I almost walked when he told me that, they explain it like it comes with the car which is BS and then they hit you with the cost. I did refuse that for the simple fact that I couldn't afford the payments if I sold my kidney. The Honda fit did however come with a Lojack already installed which they then tried to hit me with a $995 one time installation fee (even though it was already installed) and continued to tell me that they would remove it otherwise. I unknowingly got him to drop the price to $795 because of my hesitation. I also got them to give me the floor mats and the cargo mat for free which ran for about 230 bucks or so. My APR was sky high being a first time buyer with no credit (13.74) and my payments consisted of $406.89, But for 34MPG its a small price to pay over the outrages gas prices.

No comments: